Serves 6. Recipe supplied by Adele at Made 2 Measure Catering: telephone 07801 270703.
- 4 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 banana shallots, peeled and sliced
- Sprigs of thyme
- Splash of sherry
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp of honey
- 1 sheet/pack puff pastry
- 2tbsp good-quality cooking oil
- 1tbsp butter
- 2tbsp sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sprinkling of Parmesan
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 7 (190°C). Put cooking oil in a pan with butter and heat, then add onions and shallots. As the onions start to brown at the edges, add the sugar to caramelise the mixture. Next add the sherry, balsamic vinegar and honey, along with a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Continue to cook for around 20 mins, adding a teacup of hot water if the mixture becomes sticky. It should eventually look like mushy dark brown onions.
- Cut the puff pastry sheet in half lengthways and make either one or two tartes. With a knife, gently mark an inch-wide line all the way around the pastry without tearing it, then coat the border with beaten egg.
- Now add the onion mixture to the pastry, avoiding the border. Add some extra thyme sprigs. Bake on a sheet in the oven for 15-20 mins – keep an eye out as it can brown quickly.
- Whilst hot, sprinkle with Parmesan shavings and decorate with thyme. Enjoy!